As of May 2024, I will no longer be Membership Secretary, and the EC is beginning the search for a new one. The main elements of the role are:
- Maintaining the membership database
- Maintaining the direct debit database
- Ensuring membership cards are sent out to new and renewing members (using Excel to manipulate the membership data to feed a mail merge in Word)
- Generating the magazine distribution list (using Excel)
- Replying to members’ email queries
- Running the membership desk at SMW
- Participating in Executive Committee meetings as a board member.
The tasks relating to the role can be shared with others – currently there is a Membership team comprising myself and two others, and there is nothing to prevent other helpers being recruited. I myself plan to remain on the team as Direct Debit Administrator. For much of the year it will take a few hours of your time each week, but in September and October it can be quite a lot more than that.
Key skills for the Membership Secretary are:
- Good organisational and administration ability
- Awareness of regulations and risks affecting the holding of member details, such as Data Protection
- Ability to use Excel and Word
- Ability to learn to use online systems such as Member Mojo.
If you feel you might be able to help the society in this role, and would like to know more, please contact me at email@example.com.
(Please note that this is an Executive Committee post, and so you need to meet the requirements covered in this form.)
Doug Hughes, Membership Secretary